Re: IP-address spoofing a concern?

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 14:16 -0500, Brian Mearns wrote:
> I'm not concerned right now with security of content, I'm concerned
> with someone highjacking another person's session. I send a session
> token, and the client sends it back, either in cookie data or in the
> URL. Either way, it's plain text on the net, so anyone can just grab
> it and send it to my server, which won't have anyway of knowing if
> it's the original session creator or not.

IIUC, with HTTP digest authentication, the user enters his/her username
and password into the browser, and for each request, the browser
calculates a new, unique token from the username, password, and request
URL.  The server won't allow the same token to be used more than once,
so someone who snoops a token can't reuse it.  This provides decent
security against eavesdroppers.

What I was pointing out is that an active attacker with control of the
network can modify the body of a POST request in transit and the server
will still accept the request as having a valid token, so different data
will be saved than the client intended.  Digest authentication has an
"auth-int" mode that would prevent this, but it is unimplemented in
Apache.

Again, I would recommend https because it gives you full security
against any kind of attacker on the network (assuming your users aren't
in the habit of clicking through certificate warnings).

--
Matt