Re: IP-address spoofing a concern?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:26:12 -0500
> Brian Mearns <bmearns@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>       By this I mean I'm just verifying each time the session id is
>> sent by the client (in the query string or in a cookie) that it's from
>> the same IP-address as the one that initiated the session to make sure
>> someone hasn't hijacked another person's session.
>
> So anyone coming through a proxy pool is screwed.  Do you explain
> that to them?

Hmm. I had considered the rare case that a dynamic IP address could
change, in which case I would just make them re-authenticate before
blowing away their session. But I guess if their address is changing
every time, that's not really feasible. So basically what I'm coming
to is that session's aren't completely insecure unless over HTTPS?

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/