Re: mod_ssl Client authentication question

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Peter Schober
<peter.schober@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Brian Mearns <bmearns@xxxxxxxx> [2009-01-16 14:40]:
>> First, if I use SSLRequire to check various fields in a client's
>> certificate, is it implied that the certificate has already been
>> verified as signed by one of the CA's I've defined in
>> SSLCACertificateFile, for instance? In other words, this isn't just
>> checking that someone made a certificate with the correct DN values,
>> right? It's also verifying implicitly that it comes from an approved
>> CA? I assume the same is true if I use FakeBasicAuth?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcacertificatefile
>
> probably also if interest:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslverifyclient
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslrequiressl
> etc.

Thanks, I actually just got finished reading through that whole page
before I sent the question though. The doc isn't explicit (from what I
could tell, anyway), about what it actually means to "only deal with".
I guess the meaning is probably pretty obvious, but I want to make
sure it really means that the server will automatically reject client
certs not signed by an approved CA before it gets to the SSLRequire
directive.

Thanks,
-Brian
Key Id: 0x3AA70848