Re: mod_ssl Client authentication question

> Second, I was trying to test the above question by creating
> self-signed certs, adding them to my browser, and making sure the
> server would not authenticate them. But when I did, my browser
> (Firefox) didn't even provide them as an option for me to use. I know
> this isn't strictly an apache question, but I think this is probably
> because of the "list of acceptable Certificate Authority names" sent
> to the browser by my server...does that sound correct? If this is the
> case, is there a way to get my server to tell the browser than any
> certificate is fine, but still only actually authenticate those signed
> by the appropriate CA's?

It has to be an explicit list from the server, and it should be
assembled by virtue of whatever CA's apache trusts via the various
SSL*CA directives.  I believe the list is sent as names only, so you
could still do your testing if you had two CA's with the same DN --
your server would coax the client into sending but ultimately wouldn't
be able to validate the signature.

Last time I tested to try to clarify the unclear doc,
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatechainfile
did not affect the list of trusted CA's, despite the implied overlap,
but I also recall other people reporting the exact opposite.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx