Re: Re: Can I just compile once and copy the installed server to multi machines?

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Dan Poirier <poirier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan Poirier <poirier@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> The compiled-in default paths can't be changed, but you can use a
>> configuration file that sets a different ServerRoot and that should
>> override the defaults for most paths.  You might run into a few other
>> paths that need to be overridden explicitly.
>
> Also, if you're using suEXEC, that will have to be recompiled.  Its
> compiled-in paths cannot be overridden, for security.
>
> --
> Dan Poirier <poirier@xxxxxxxxx>

Just a quick thought: I know apache takes a bit to build, but you
probably could have built it on several machines in the 6 hours or so
it took to get a response to this. That would be my preferred option;
I wouldn't trust copying binaries to another machine. Even if it
appears to work now, who knows what may show up in the future as
missing dependencies, etc.

On the other hand, there are pre-packaged apache installations
available for all major distros. For instance, on fedora, you can do
`yum install httpd` (I think httpd is the name of the package,
otherwise it's probably apache). The down side is you don't get to
customize the compilation.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/