Re: Idea for SSL with name-based Vhosts using two servers, mod_rewrite, and mod_proxy

2009/1/8 Brian Mearns <mearns.b@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Bruno - e-comBR <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think a bank site or a "big e-business site" won't HAVE TO use
>> virtual servers using another domains.
>>
>> And I also think a "common site" don't need SSL.
>
> I use SSL/TLS for privacy on my site, not for authentication per se,
> which is why I can use one certificate for all hosts. I use it
> primarily to access my webmail, so I use secure HTTP to tunnel my
> mail, login, etc.

Yes, for encryption it's so useful. But in order to do it, the user
just need to ignore the "invalid domain" issue if there are another
sites hosted on your server.

>> But some new HTTPS spec, including some "unencrypted redundant
>> headers" should be useful :-P
>
> Yeh, DNI will be useful when server's get around to implementing it.
> All modern browsers already support it, I think, though I have to
> wonder how they tested it since I haven't heard of /any/ servers that
> support it.

I haven't heard about DNI before. But it seems to be interesting, so
I'll google about it.

> -Brian
>
> --
>
> Feel free to contact me using PGP Encryption:
> Key Id: 0x3AA70848
> Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/

Bruno Moreira Guedes <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
e-comBR - Depto. Infra-Estrutura