Re: Implementing SSL with name based vhost

Eric,

That really helps.
Thanks  for the explanantion.

-Vijay

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Vijay <vjpoluri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Eric,
>
> Sorry i did not get it..
> You said "Those aren't name-based yet"..
> what would make them name based?
>

> My aim is to use name based ssl vhosts listening on  multiple ports.
> (we are not able to use IP based hosts since siteminder does not have
> capability to ignore hosts with IPaddress)

name-based means apache uses nothing but the hostname (in the Host:
header) to decide which virtualhost will handle the request.

In your example, Apache can tell which TCP port the request was
received on. Unlike the name-based scenario, this can be done before
the SSL handshake is started. It's the same as using different IP
addresses as far as Apache is concerned.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx