Reverse proxying fooled by port forwarding?

ProxyPassReverse does not seem to be handling redirects properly.  I
would appreciate any help diagnosing or solving the problem.

I have an apache 2.2 server with name-based virtual hosting.  I want to
send requests I receive for that machine (twiki.betterworld.us) to
another server via an ssh tunnel.  Inside the virtual host I have
	ProxyPass / http://localhost:8000/
	ProxyPassReverse /   http://localhost(:8000)?/
	ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain localhost twiki.betterworld.us
	ProxyHTMLURLMap ^http://localhost(:.*)?(/.*)? \
http://corn.betterworld.us$2

The remote server, a twiki, sends back complete path locations like
http://localhost/.....

These are not rewritten on the way back; that is, the original request
comes in at twiki.betterworld.us/twiki, but when the remote server
responds (I believe it's a redirect) with localhost/cgi-bin/twiki this
does not get rewritten to twiki.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/twiki.

I tried enabling the rewrite log, but it doesn't seem to pick up any of
the relevant activity.