Re: How to connect from a remote machine

You said you don't have a router, correct? So there's no port
forwarding you can do. However, there's a very good chance that your
ISP is blocking port 80.

To start with, have your friend open a command prompt and try to ping
your machine: simply type the command ping, followed by a space and
your IP address and hit enter. If it works (it gets replys back), then
that's a good start, however it tells you nothing about port 80. If it
doesn't work, it could just mean your system is set up to not accept
ICMP echo requests, or it could mean that there's something more
fundamentally wrong with your connection to the Internet (like it's
not there).

If that works, you can try to get around port 80: Edit your httpd.conf
file, find the Listen directive, and if there's a :80 anywhere in it,
change it to something like :81. If there's not a :80 in it, then
append a :81 to whatever it currently says. Now have your friend try
to connect to your web site again, but this time, have them add :81 to
the end of your IP address. If they are able to connect now, then it
probably means your ISP is blocking port 80, which is not uncommon.
There's really no way that I know of to get around this, other than
using a different port (like 81, described here), or begging your case
to your ISP, which is not likely to help.

Note that a lot of networks, like schools and offices, only allow
connections on standard ports, which means if your friend is trying to
connect from one of these places, he may not be able to get through on
port 81. Your best chance is to try from a residential connection.

Another common port to use is 8080, which is somewhat more likely than
81 to be blocked, but will improve the chances that your visitors will
be able to connect on it.

Hope that helps, let us know how it goes.

-Brian

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Albert Joseph <albertjoseph@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve Reilly,
>
> Thank you.  I am reading http://portforward.com/routers.htm which has much information that I hope will lead to a solution.  This might take sometime from me though, since I found that I have to obtain a static IP first.
>
> Thanks again.

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: https://keyserver.pgp.com