Re: httpd 2.2.8 not responding to client requests

Well... thanks for the input... it was the firewall after all. I had used the GUI to "disable" it but it must have still been running. I edited the /etc/sysconfig/iptables files per another article I found and bounced the server... still didn't work. I finally went back into the GUI Firewall admin tool, enabled the firewall, and told it to pass traffic for ports 80 and 443. Now I can hit the web server from both the SuSE and WinXP boxes. I guess it won't hurt to have a firewall on this machine, but since it's only a development server and it's sitting behind my Internet firewall I intended to get the Fedora firewall out of the way.

Thanks again, Morgan, for the advice.

Paul Doubek

Paul Doubek wrote:
Morgan, thanks for the quick reply... see below:

Morgan Gangwere wrote:
Paul Doubek wrote:
-Telnet from either box to Fedora's port 80 fails (SuSE: "No route to host", WinXP: Connect failed"), but telnet to Fedora's port 22 succeeds.
I've looked in all the log files in /var/log/httpd. The only time I see any activity in those log files is if I access the Fedora web server from the Fedora machine (locally). It acts as if Apache is never seeing the traffic from the other two machines, but it appears to me that the OS is seeing the requests. That's what let me to look for (and find) the Fedora firewall running.

-Disabled the Fedora firewall as it was enabled when the build was complete. -Have changed /var/www/html and all it's contents to be owned by user/group apache/apache, all have 755 permissions.

Try going from the Fedora box to the SuSE box. If that works, routing is working one way. Make sure everything is in place and you //may// just find your problem.

I will work that direction a little more. I actually hoped that in the act of trying to describe the problem the solution would come to me, as seems to happen quite often. I agree... it behaves like a routing problem except I can ping and TN both directions... so it seems like it's got to be a Transport or Session layer thing. I've been looking for some clue that would indicate either httpd or the OS is trapping or rejecting the packets but I'm striking out.