Re: httpd 2.2.8 not responding to client requests

Paul Doubek wrote:
I feel like a dummy for not figuring this out... I suspect it's a simple config problem. I've installed Apache 2.2.8 on Fedora Core 9 with SSL and PHP5 support. When I try to access the home page from either a SuSE box (my firewall) or my WinXP client it fails with "Failed to connect" (Firefox)/"cannot display the webpage" (IE). I can open web pages on the Fedora box; PHP and SSL both work. I've searched around the web and pored through several books to try to figure out where it's breaking down but I'm striking out... which leads me to believe that most folks don't have this problem. If you can point me in the right direction I can probably set it right... I'm just coming up blank with where else to look.

-Installed Apache, PHP5, and SSL as part of the Fedora online installation rather than from separate packages or make files. -The SuSE box is my firewall, both the Fedora and WinXP boxes are on the inside interface. -Don't have DNS running for local addresses. I'm trying to access the Fedora web service by IP address rather than host name.
-Can ping Fedora from both SuSE and WinXP.
-Telnet from either box to Fedora's port 80 fails (SuSE: "No route to host", WinXP: Connect failed"), but telnet to Fedora's port 22 succeeds.

Try pinging. No Route To Host means that there's proabably a layer 1 or 3 problem...

-All the machines are on the same segment/same network (192.168.1), but Fedora and WinXP use the SuSE IP for the default gateway. -Observed network traffic on the Fedora box while pinging and trying to telnet/http access the box and I can see the traffic bump up, so I don't think I'm getting blocked by the firewall.
Could be your physical network or the layer 3 routing again.
-Set the error logging to Debug in httpd.conf.
-See no indication of a problem in the httpd/error_log or access_log... there don't appear to be any entries that correspond to my attempts to access the server remotely.

Apache logs //everything// ttbomk.

-Disabled the Fedora firewall as it was enabled when the build was complete. -Have changed /var/www/html and all it's contents to be owned by user/group apache/apache, all have 755 permissions.

I've dug through the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file looking for a tweak I've missed. I tried both commenting out the "Listen" directive and putting the full IP address/port in with no change in behavior. (Yes, I restarted httpd after each change.) I am including a big chunk of the httpd.conf file that I thought might be relevant with most of the comments snipped out for brevity. Please let me know if I missed something that would help troubleshoot.

Try going from the Fedora box to the SuSE box. If that works, routing is working one way. Make sure everything is in place and you //may// just find your problem.

-0-0-0-0-0-
Morgan Gangwere

Unknown Software
http://sonof.bandit.name/
Member, INCOSE [ http://incose.org ] PACA [ http://paca.org ] and New Mexico .NET Users Group [ http://nmug.net ]
Registered Linux user #LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"Please, in all cases, PEBKAC errors are your most liekly cause"
			-- <mudkipz> on #cisco