Re: Apache and IDN

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:34 +0100, André Warnier wrote:
> Adrián Ribao Martínez wrote:

> >> Hi.
> >> You need to be a bit more specific that "I can't make it work".
> >> What is not working ?
> >> - is the request not getting to Apache at all ?
> >> - is it getting there but being processed by the "default" VirtualHost ?
> >> - is it giving messages in the logfiles ?
> >> - can you do an "nslookup" of your domain name and does it work ?
> >> etc..
> >
> > The problem is that is being processed by the default VirtualHost. So I
> > thought it was an apache issue.
> >
> > The log files are ok.
> >
> Allright, that means that Apache is not recognising the ServerName in
> the VirtualHost section.
> Have you tried percent-escaping it ?
> like :
> ServerName lamadredel.dise%F1o.com
>
> I don't think that this is very correct, but it could possibly work.
>
> ServerName

It shouldn't be percent escaped, it should be properly PUNYCODE encoded.
You haven't explicitly stated what host name you registered, but if it
were 'www.diseño.com', then the appropriate 'real' server name would be
'www.xn--diseo-rta.com' (do .com do IDN?)
You should have been informed of this name when you registered the
domain name - ie you type in diseño.com into your browser's address bar,
it looks at it and thinks 'hmmm, okay, if I translate that into
punycode, then it is xn--diseo-rta.com, let me lookup the DNS for that
host and pretend that is the host name.' Apache knows nothing about
punycode, nor IDN*, just that you requested '/index.html' on host
'xn--diseo-rta.com'.

Cheers

Tom

* OK, some parts of it might do, I just dont know about it if they do.
Regardless, it isnt relevant here :)