Re: How can I uninstall Apache2 from Windows98?

On 9/28/08, Luke Turner <lukon100@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> HTTPD.EXE won't shut down when I turn my computer off. And I see no
> mechanism by which I could properly shut it down. I keep having to do an
> "end task" on it. Google search on this problem indicates that Apache2
> simply isn't right for Windows98se. Hence I want to uninstall it.

I know your issue was resolved; just replying to correct misinformation.

This command stops Apache httpd cleanly:
   httpd.exe -k shutdown
You can also use the Apache Service Monitor's Stop button.
This applies to all versions of Windows, including Windows98SE.
See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html#wincons

To the best of my knowledge, Windows98SE does not have a place to put
commands to run during shutdown.  Shutdown closes all programs,
completes any writes to disk, and clears the disk write buffer.
Apache httpd should close without corrupting anything.  Using ALT_F4,
CTRL_C, or the X window button may not close all processes -- a
performance issue if the computer were to remain running, but shutdown
should kill those processes.

solprovider