Re: How can I uninstall Apache2 from Windows98?

On 9/27/08, Luke Turner <lukon100@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I accidentally installed Apache2 on my Windows98se computer and I want
> to remove it because Apache2 is not compatible with Windows98. I found no
> instructions for this anywhere on the WWW.
>
> Apache does not appear in the list of programs when I go to my "Add/Remove
> Programs" dialog box.

This sounds like something went wrong during your installation.
Apache 2.2.4 is working on my Windows98SE computer.  "Apache HTTP
Server 2.2.4" appears in my "Add/Remove Programs" list.  What does not
work for you?

I cannot find my installation file.  Some installers will uninstall
when run again.  Otherwise...

The installation is mostly contained under the directory where you
installed Apache httpd, e.g.  C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Apache2.2.  The start links are in: C:\WINDOWS\Start
Menu\Programs\Apache HTTP Server 2.2.4. Delete these two directories
(and all subdirectories.)
- The Windows registry contains a few entries you can ignore.  Search
for "Apache" if you want to remove them and have not installed other
Apache products.

Making a program not work on Windows98SE often takes extra development
work.  Eclipse 3.2 used XP's transparent text; this was fixed for
Eclipse 3.3.  I think PostgreSQL needed a file system feature
unavailable in Windows98SE.  Maven 2 did not work on Windows98SE; I
have yet to discover why (or try a recent version.)  Proprietary
software companies often teach installers not to install to
Windows98SE to reduce support calls.  Most OSS only stops working
because no tester reports problems; complain and the problems
disappear (as with Eclipse.)

HTH,
solprovider