Re: Trailing slash problem, not the typical one

On 9/27/08, Melvin Foong <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello there,
>  I am having this problem with my new server where I could not get it to work.
>  I am looking to request for a page where my URL ends with a trailing slash.
>
>  Example
>  http://domainmame/directory/filename/
>  This returns me a 404, Apache is looking it as a directory and not a file
>
>  My configurations on 3 of my Apache server are the same, however only
>  1 server running refuse to work with a trailing slash filename.
>
>  I do not know what kind of info should I include, just wondering if
>  anyone had this problem before and had solved it.
>
>  Am using Apache 2.2.3
>  TIA.
>  Melvin Foong

Your expectation is not standard Web behavior -- a final slash implies
a directory name.  The information needed is in httpd.conf (and maybe
.htaccess files if you use them in content directories.)

You might try copying a working httpd.conf to the problem server.
Backup the current httpd.conf in case the installation/configuration
is different enough that the server does not start.

Diff the httpd.conf from this server with a httpd.conf that works as
you want.  DirectoryIndex (default = index.html) sets the filename(s)
delivered when a directory is specified.  DirectorySlash adds a final
slash when missing -- this is the opposite of your issue.  You may
have RewriteRule commands to remove final slashes.

The important file are httpd.conf and .htaccess files in the problem
directory and all parent directories of the problem directory.
Compare these files with the files from a server that works as you
desire.  Post any portions that seem relevant if you need more
assistance.

HTH,
solprovider