From: J. Greenlees [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:01 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SSl question

Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 09:04:55 pm manning allan wrote:
>
>> I have apache set up on my home PC. I handle many domains, many of which
>> are websites located on Tripod or Geocities, and I am just effectively
>> forwarding the name to the current location.
>>
>> I have edited my http.conf to direct the various domain names to various
>> folders in my httdocs folder, where they are then redirected (and set to
>> only show the original address in the bar).
>>

>> My question is, I have a site I am working on that will be a secured site.
>> It is currently on a secured server, but my home PC is not. I need to show
>> my employer a fully functional website before they will release the funds
>> to rent my own server and set it up for SSL. Can I set up my home PC to
>> receive the https://www.domain.com <https://www.domain.com/>  and then
>> redirect it to the secured server, without making all of my other domains
>> require the https?
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Allan Manning
>>
>> MIS
>>
>> Employee Health & Safety Rep (certified)
>>
>> TG Minto Corporation
>>
>> 300 Toronto St.
>>
>> Palmerston, Ont.,
>>
>> N0G 2P0
>>
>> (519) 417-2249 Direct Line
>>
>> (519) 343-2800 Ext.2249
>>
>> (519) 343-3200 Fax
>>
>> TG VoIP 676-2249
>>

> Yes you can, but you need a SSL certificate for that. Well, you can generate
> one signed by yourself using genkey command (crypto-utils package) but the
> browser will warn the user about the self-signed certificate.

also, Firefox 3 gets nasty about adding a self signed cert.
Aparently the Firefox developers hate self signed certs and have made it
harder to get one installed into the browser's list.
I don't use Firefox, so this is not something I have seen myself, but it
was discussed on an article discussion about certificates on CBS
Interactive's techrepublic.com

OK, but I want to make it so that if I input http:// into the address bar, it tells me I have to use https://
I also would like to be able to use http:// for the other domains I use.
Do I have to make a fancy entry into the httpd.conf file?