Re: hardware for proxy

Ben Spencer wrote:
Ther is no SSL involve what so ever.
The sites are very active (it is a share hosting environment and this
is
the reason why I wanna try the proxy) and beside that we plan to
expand.
We have between 50~300 reqs/sec (depend on time of the day) with around
10~20 kb/reqs and this is not the busiest server. Probably we need
something to hold around 5000 reqs/sec like a frontend.

You have a much busier site then we are currently running. I don't have a
clue what our requests/sec are (apart from what server-status provides)
during any given time. The concurrent requests seem to peak out at about 120
split roughly 50/50 between the two major applications (which means about
35-45% are SSL) and the box doesn't have any issues and is (per vmstat --
forgot to mention it is a RHEL VM) 10-15% non-idle (user + sys + io wait =
10-15% usage). Currently, our proxy is performing some DNS lookups (DNS
isn't on the box its self) do to how some of the access restrictions are
done. I would assume that removing those would also lessen CPU usage.

benji

Thanks again Ben. My problem is that we wanna buy the hardware but we don't know what are the week points of this environment , cpu, ram, IO etc

Alex