Re: per-subdirectory 405 Method Not Allowed in .htaccess file for read-only WebDAV

Vasiliy Baranov wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a directory named 'foo' in which I have a subdirectory named 'bar' and an '.htaccess' file in which I need to specify that all methods expect GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, and PROPFIND on all resources in the 'bar' subdirectory should result in 405 Method Not Allowed response. The directory layout is as follows:

   foo
       .htaccess
       bar

I cannot have .htaccess in 'bar' and thus cannot specify <LimitExcept> for the 'bar' directory, plus <Limit> and <LimitExcept> both result in 403 Forbidden rather than 405 Method Not Allowed. Am I to use mod_rewrite rewrites with the R=405 flag? If so, can I somehow add the list of allowed methods to the Allow header in 405 Method Not Allowed responses as required by RFC 2616 section 10.4.6?

The ultimate goal here is to make the 'bar' subdirectory of the WebDAV-enabled 'foo' directory read-only for everyone.

Without being able to either move/create an .htaccess file under bar or specify the settings in the global apache config, I don't think there is a way to make the <Limit> apply just to the bar directory. You would need to encompass it in a <Directory> or <Location> directive, but those directives are only allowed in the global and virtualhost config context.

Even with mod_rewrite, since you are actually tricking the server to report the 405 error code, I don't think you'll be able to report a proper list of commands in the "Allow" header without using <Limit>.

Justin Pasher