RE: Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data as www owner?

Thanks for the reply, Brian. Yes, I think I'm fairly familiar with the role
of httpd.conf. It is for example, where the virtual hosts were defined on
RedHat in my earlier version of Linux. In fact I did have an occasional need
to make changes to that file on my old RedHat implementation of Linux.

Perhaps I didn't explicitly point out in my first post that I'm now running
on a server that features Debian Etch. The httpd.conf file in my current
structure arrived 100% empty. In fact, in their 'infinite wisdom', Debian
developers try to steer users away from httpd.conf entirely. Here's a link
to an article that discusses this:
www.control-escape.com/web/configuring-apache2-debian.html

Yes, I realize the DocumentRoot location can be changed. Indeed I've already
changed it with the sites I converted earlier. What I came here hoping to
find is someone who understands WHY it was changed by Apache to begin with
and who could explain the implications of changing it in a different way...
especially since on Debian I can change it from one virtual host to another.
Frankly, I haven't found anything yet that says there were technological or
security reasons why Apache made this change. Not even their documentation
suggests such reasons exist. If the answer is there ARE no specific reasons
for the change, I'm inclined to ignore it and go with what I already have
working.

For the record, I've searched each of the key files in the Debian Apache
Config file structure for the direct counterpart to DocumentRoot. The only
place I find any references to DocumentRoot is in the individual VirtualHost
configuration files I created.  I can't find it anywhere else in Debian's
Apache config structure.

That's part of what leaves me confused. I feel like the Connecticut Yankee
in King Arthur's Court here. It's hard to know for sure when you've just
made a quantum leap across hardware generations, software generations AND
Linux versions just how much of the change you're seeing is  the result of
the work of Apache developers versus the work product of Debian Developers
who thought they knew a "better way". That's as hard as trying to figure out
where the Camel ate his last meal by examining the straw in a dung pile you
stepped in the desert. ;)

After 40 years in the biz, my first motto is "Do no harm." And my second is
"Do your best to try to understand any harm you MIGHT do." That's why I'm
here looking for guidance.

I agree with you about the need to avoid absolute paths in software setups,
Brian. My sole excuse (and it's a weak one) is often when you buy these
packages they don't offer or suggest pathing alternatives. Instead, they
simply demand "path to sendmail on your server" with (or without) a trailing
slash. Nevertheless, your point is well taken. I promise the next time I run
across the 49 year old version of me dashing up and down the hallways of
time, I'll make it a point to kick his butt for not adequately anticipating
everything that would happen 9 years in the future!

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions, sir. I sincerely appreciate it!