Re: Why do I need /var/www as DocumentRoot & www-data as www owner?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the way your message sounds, you
don't appear to have any knowledge of the httpd.conf file? It's the main
configuration file for your server, and it includes a DocumentRoot
directive that allows you to specify the document root. The default may be
/var/www, but you should be able to set it to anything you want. The same
is true for the user and group that apache uses: these can be configured
with the User and Group directives. I personally have no idea about the
security implications of choosing one document root or user/group over
another, but (as I said), it doesn't sound like you realize they can be
changed, so I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Secondly---and not to be critical, but hopefully constructive---basing
your work on the absolute paths is a common but dangerous mistake. Of
course it's a lot easier but, as you're beginning to see now, it /always/
comes back to bite you in the long run. Not that it does you any good now,
but it's something you'll probably remember in the future.

Best of luck
-Brian