RE: configuration file management

Based on some suggestions from the list for a way to manage 3 similar configurations for our dev, stage and production clusters, I moved our deployment system to a templated solution and am very happy with it.  I intend to expand it to use a config file to hold defaults and environment-specific values.

For us it was pretty easy once I got my head around the abstraction we were talking about, because we already had an automated deployment system based on our tagging our code to DEV, STAGE, or PROD.  Effectively I just had to replace a line that copied file a to location b with one that rendered a to b.  Simple.

You could definitely do that with your vhosts.  Set up your base types, and then for those things that are different create data that points to a type and has it's vhost-specific info.  Read those in and write/render the files.

Then you can hack that into your current deployment system, or wrap a makefile around it or something like that to facilitate creating the files you need.

Hope this helps.

Eric

--------
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.