Re: configuration file management

Probing to see if people have a good way/tools which people use to manage
their apache configuration file(s). we have roughly 50 virtual hosts which
are divided into roughly four major applications with each application
having some common configuration directives. While copy/paste works, it is
easy to get lost in the text files (which virtual host am I in). does anyone

You should put common directives into a separate file and Include[1] them, to avoid repetition.

have a useful utility (I know about webmin) or a way to arrange the files
and/or "tricks" other things which greatly ease the management of the files
& virtual hosts -- especially when some directives are common between
virtual hosts.

Also you should set sane defaults in the Server Context[2].

Aside from those general advices, there's also things such as mod_vhost_alias[3][4] and mod_macro[5].

Thank You

So long,

Igor

1. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#include