Using Servlets in Apache HTTPD Server

Hi,

 I have 2 project I'm working on, one of them is built using PHP the other is built using Servlets. Currently they run on 2 separate servers Apache HTTPD and Tomcat. But I want to integrate the 2 projects and to make the work run faster I need to run both of them in 1 server if possible (that serves both PHP and Servlets).

  I was searching for a way to make Apache HTTPD server work with servlets without sending requests into any other server (i.e. Tomcat). I found most of the people using mod_proxy_ajp or mod_jk as modules in HTTPD server and this will pass servlets requests into Tomcat server. But I think that will make my implementation much slower (sending and receiving requests between the 2 servers will have communication overhead).

Is there a way to make Servlets work in Apache without sending requests into Tomcat? my main concern is the slowness that will happened because of the communication between the 2 servers.

 Thanks,

    Iyad