Re: How to start Apache automatically with certificate?

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:31:42AM -0300, Tan, Liao  wrote:
> Ok, ic I can simply remove the passphrase, and provided the new key be readabale by root only, I should not have any security problems... is it simply remove it? or any other settings, configuratios, re-installation?

It should not be owned by root, because you should not be running your
server as root.  You should be running your servers as some other user,
say, "apache", and so the uncloaked cert files should be stored as
read-only by "apache".

Nothing should ever be owned by or done as root.  Nothing.  Absolutely
nothing.  Ever.  Unless you absolutely have to, and then it's still a
good idea to stop and think how to do it without being root.

Why should nothing be owned by root?  Because then manipulating it must
be done by root.

We should nothing be done by root?  Because you're human and are capable
of making mistakes, such as:

	cd /
	rm -rf /tmp/cruftdir. *

and because people cracking into systems LOVE to find daemon processes
running as "root", because then if they own that one daemon process,
they own the whole system.

YES, there is a bare minimum of things that must run as root.  The trick
is to find out how to approach that bare minimum.  No application
daemons should be running as root.

--
**