Re: A question about the request line and the referer

Paul Li wrote:
Yeh, I'm asking something about programming...

André. could you tell me why some referer pages are displayed as "-",
but some are url ?

The "-" referer probably comes because the caller did not provide a "Referer:" header in his request.

For example, open a new browser and acces a URL on your server, then look at the access log. It will probably show a "-" for the referer.

Or, if you have perl installed, re-do the example I sent earlier, but do not specify a "-H" switch.

Got it ?
The "referer" information in your access log *only* represents the content of the "Referer:" header sent by the client, If there is none, then you get "-" for that field in the access log. It is written so, so that if you have a program analysing your access log, it will not get confused because one line has fewer fields than the others.
Brilliant, those Apache developers, no ?

Thanks again and have a good weekend!

And the same to you.