Re: A question about the request line and the referer

Paul Li wrote:
Thanks André!

Just one more question: if i want to retrieve from the access log the
users' visiting history of my web site, what  would you suggest?

I would suggest to use "webalizer", or any of the similar programs which do about the same thing.

Seriously, there you are asking a question that is more about programming logic than Apache tidbits, and I'm afraid for that you'll have to do some work yourself.

But assuming that you committed some crime, and that the task in question is your punishment, here is an outline : I would start by selecting a programming language that is good at parsing lines of text and manipulate them (like perl). (You could also use awk of course. I have some good friends that use awk too ;-)) Then I would split each line into its constituents (caller IP, date/time, result code, requested URL, ..
Then I would ignore anything that did not result in a code 200 (OK).
Then I would ignore any line that is about URLs ending in .gif, .jpeg, .css, etc.. (unless they are really significant in your case). Then I would sort the remainder by caller IP (about the only element you have that allows to believe that this is one user) and by date/time. And then I would really get to work, to decide what belongs to one single visit..

I'm sure I am forgetting 90% of the smart things that programs like webalizer are doing. Not even speaking about presenting the results nicely.

Anyway, have fun !

André