Re: Orientation request on proxies, rewrite etc..

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 18:02, André Warnier <aw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to re-organise this as follows :
> - choosing and setting up one of the internal servers as a "front-end" for
> itself and all the others.
> - allow internals and externals to connect to the front-end system (if from
> outside, through an SSH tunnel)
> - have this front-end system "proxy" the requests to whichever internal
> system contains the stuff of interest, in function of either the alias
> hostname of the target system, or some URI scheme that uses a prefix to
> designate which server in the background contains the stuff
>
> Now, given all the above, does anyone have any good tips as to what kind of
> general setup we would need for this ?
> Based on previous messages on this list, I have a tendency to think of
> mod_proxy and mod_rewrite, but in what general shape or form is what I hope
> to get from this explanation.

You need a reverse proxy, this allows to consolidate several
webservers in to one "webspace" on one server. You could even make
this server available from outside using https and authentication so
you don't need to build ssl tunnels. (I work at a place with
requirements not unlike yours.)

This is a good place to start reading:

http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

Krist