encoded slashes in the url with AllowEncodedSlashes

I have AllowEncodedSlashes in my conf.  I am calling

https://myserver.com/foo.cgi/a/b%2fc/d

In the docs for AllowEncodedSlashes, it says it doesn't mean they will be decoded.

My cgi script simply prints $ENV{PATH_INFO} and it sees /foo.cgi/a/b/c/d instead of /foo.cgi/a/b%2fc/d

What I'm trying to do is send discrete things between slashes in the path and it happens that some of those things have slashes.  I don't know how many elements I'll have, so I can't get the first and last thing and then assume everything in the middle is a slash.  There may be more than one thing with encoded slashes between slashes, as well.

I don't *have* to use slashes, but they are the most natural thing for me to use.  If I can't do what I want, is there some other delimiter I should change the slashes to?  What I'm trying to do is send url's as parameters to a script.

Thank you.

--Zac
xaxxon@xxxxxxxxx