Re: trouble with vhosts and 2.2.8

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Eben <eben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just setup a new Fedora Core 9 box, running apache 2.2.8.

I then setup a basic virtual host config using NameVirtualHost *:80

My only virtual host looks like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerAdmin admin@xxxxxxxxxx
  DocumentRoot /home/domain/www
  ServerName domain.com
  ServerAlias www.domain.com
  ErrorLog /home/domain/logs/error_log
  CustomLog /home/domain/logs/access_log combined

  # NOTE: I added this later, doesn't change anything...
  <Directory "/home/domain/www">
      Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
      AllowOverride None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I've made sure my DirectoryIndex includes all possible index types, SELinux is disabled, Firewall is disabled, permissions on /home/domain are wide open for testing.  No matter what I try, I keep getting a 403 Forbidden, and in the error log: (13)Permission denied: access to / denied

I've been reading around on this, but there doesn't seem to be any definitive answers... there seems to be consensus that apache 2.2.x has a bit more security by default, but it's not clear what needs to be changed to allow the virtual hosts to resolve properly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eben

That caught me at first also.. and every time I've upgraded its caught me again :-) there's a default vhost  on mine I think it is called default_vhost.inc  that has a comment line in it that says
"controls who can get stuff from this server" and as I recall right after that it has along the lines of
 Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
 so that you have to then specifically allow each virtual host.
OTOH you could disable the improved security at your own risk by making that an allow...
hth,
Johnny