Re: DAV and SSL help

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Tim Burke <burket1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am running Windows XP SP3 on all machines and have an internal Intranet.
>  The clients are using TortoiseSVN and command line svn.

Sounds pretty typical, and similar to our own setup.

> I have NEVER worked on the internals the Apache httpd!
>
> I have installed Apache httpd 2.2.8, and separately VisualSVN 1.1 (which
> installs a copy of httpd 2.2.8) on a server machine.  My purpose was
> subversion, so VisualSVN 1.1 should be sufficient.  It seems to include both
> ssl, and DAV (from looking at the httpd.conf in the VisualSVN conf
> directory)

I'm not familiar with VisualSVN.  It looks like the server is just
Subversion + apache + a management console plugin.  The management
console actually looks kind of handy.  Will the client work ok with a
plain subversion + apache install?  Maybe you need to check with the
VisualSVN support about that.

> What I would like to do is use the Apache httpd 2.2.8 installation to
> support both SubVersion, and Web-DAV.  This would be to support other
> applications that use DAV (like Mozilla calendar Lighting).  Later I would
> like to add Tomcat support (for JSPs).

I do that, too, sort of.

> I believe that for the Apache 2.2.8 installation of httpd to support SSL,
> and DAV, I will need to copy several .so files from the VisualSVN bin
> directory over to the apache 2.2.8 bin directory.  Also, I will need to add
> commands to the apache 2.2.8 conf/httpd.conf file.

No, that is not correct.  Everything we run on the server side is SSL,
without VisualSVN.  You just need to grab the Apache distribution that
includes OpenSSL.

> First question is, will the VisualSVN .so files work adequately if I copy
> them to the Apache 2.2.8 bin directory?

Probably not.  In fact, I found this on their website:
"
Is it possible to integrate VisualSVN Server with an existing Apache instance?
No, it isn't possible. However, you can use Apache Reverse Proxy as a
proxy for VisualSVN Server. For further     details please read
http://silmor.de/49.
"

> I have been reviewing all of the Apache conf files (to include the DAV and
> SSL conf files in the /extra directory in apache 2.2.8) compared to the
> VisualSVN conf file, and don't understand half of what I need to implement.

If you want to just do it with Apache and Subversion, I can probably
help you with that.  I didn't see anything definitive on their site
regarding the client integration with a standard SubVersion + Apache
server, so I don't know how well the clients would interact with it.

> Second question is the difference and usage of the  Dav svn  command in the
> VirtualSVN conf file versus the (apparently) more general  Dav on command in
> the httpd/conf file.

Probably because of custom settings of the VisualSVN module, but you
would need to post the examples you're referring to.

> I will probably have more questions after I figure out what I really need to
> do to get the 2.2.8 httpd configured to handle both SSL and DAV!
>
> I can provide any and/or all of the conf files from both the Apache 2.2.8
> conf files, and the VirtualSVN conf file.

Well I don't think you'll be able to get a lot of help here with the
VisualSVN stuff, since it appears to be a proprietary
modification/extension of SubVersion and Apache.  So you'll probably
have to go to the vendor for help with it.

> Thanks for any help!
> --
> Tim Burke
> (303)979-1950 - home
> t.burke@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Harry Holt, PMP

Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
 - David T. Wolf