Access, Authentication, Aauthorization directives work only in .htaccess file, not in httpd.conf

Hi,
New to the list, but not new to open source and apache. Configured my first apache server on unix around 1997. About once a year or when a security problem is reported, I upgrade to the latest 1.3.xx release.

Recently, I upgraded to 1.3.41 and now have a problem that doesn't make sense, but could be a design change and not a "bug". Since I'm the only system administrator, I just put the access, authentication, and authorization directives in the httpd.conf file. Since upgrading, that information is ignored, and only if I place the information into a .htaccess file in the specific directory does it work.

I've searched everywhere and I don't see any problems and/or design change(s) mentioned.

Could someone shed some light on the situation?

--

 Regards...Ed

 Thank you.

 "Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin