How to use mod_rewrite

Hi,

I am an end user of Apache HTTP server. I have a need to create aliases.

We use Apache HTTP through Oracle Application Server 10g.

Oracle support told me to use mod_rewrite, mod_alias to create aliases.

I have been able to put aliases in httpd.conf file to make it work. While

I read mod_rewrite, I got the impression that I might be able to bring

our application using http://myhost.com instead of http://myhost.com:7779.

Meaning without typing port number in the address bar even though it is

not port 80.

Although I read several documents regarding mod_rewrite, I did not get

clear instructions how to use it. Can someone tell me please how to

use mod_rewrite and whether port number can be hidden through mod_rewrite?

Thank you.

puran