Errors when accessing PowerPoint and word files, IE but not FireFox

When accessing Microsoft PowerPoint or word files on my webserver, I'm
seeing errors accessing the file via IE (version 6 and 7) but problems
when using FireFox.  The odd thing is that the problem only occurs when
specifying the full path to the URL.  When clicking on the filename from
the DirectoryIndex, it launches just fine.

The error that IE gives is:

--start of Internet Explorer error dialog-->
Internet Explorer cannot download ...<filename goes here>.ppt from
<hostname>.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site.  The
requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found.  Please try
again.
--end of Internet Explorer error dialog-->

The headers sent by the server (Apache 1.3.26) are identical whether
using IE or FireFox.  I assumed it was IE being picky about the MIME
type and tried reconfiguring the server to send
application/ms-PowerPoint, application/PowerPoint,
application/ms-PowerPoint, and application/vnd.ms-powerpoint all of
which work fine with FireFox but all bomb on IE.

IE seems to know what the file is because it first prompts for a
password (as expected),

Any ideas?