RE: .htaccess for script aliased directories‏

> > OK I took the advice and have been trying to set up http username and
> > password logins without using .htaccess files inside the web accessible
> > directory I am trying to password protect. I checked my AllowOverride
> > settings in httpd.conf and they appear to be set correctly
>
> Allowoverride is completely irrelevant. It affects only .htaccess processing.
>
> > I am trying to use the <Location> tag instead of the <Directory> tag within
>
> > Is using the <Location> tag advisable (or possible), instead of using the
> > <directory> tag in my virtual host .conf files to enable username password
> > logins?
> >
> > <Location /home/mydirectory/www/awstats>
> >

> No, that's definitely wrong. <Location> refers to web-paths, while
> that is a file-system path. Use <Directory>.

& gt; Joshua.

OK thanks, I tried again, this time I added to my virtualdomain .conf file
the below, and I am still having the same problem...

<Directory /home/mydirectory/www/awstats>
AuthName "MembersOnly"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /home/mydirectory/.htpasswd
Require user coder
</Directory>