Re: Optimize for large file downloads on Windows

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Matthew Kitchin (Usenet/Lists)
<mkitchin.public@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I tried posting the question below on alt.apache.configuration and
>  comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows, but I haven't received any replies,
>  so I thought I would give this mailing list a shot. I'm afraid I do not know
>  any experts. I have read every FAQ I could find and searched using all
>  relevant terms I can think of. I haven't been able to find anything that
>  appeared to relate to my specific issue.
>
>  Hello,
>  We have an in house http based records system at my company. Several years
>  ago I converted it from running on IIS to Apache. Everything has worked
>  perfectly. The server has to be Windows for a variety of reasons. Apache
>  2.0.45 was latest and greatest at the time, so that is what I have been
>  using. The files are uploaded using a cgi/http post. They are downloaded
>  using straight http. All files are zip compressed. We have started storing
>  some larger files within the application. Some of the files are now 50 MB
>  and greater. For my benchmark on this issue, I'm using a 47 MB file. As the
>  files grew, the download time has become slower than I would have expected.
>  On the 47 MB file, it is between 12 and 15 seconds every time. Given the
>  number of files a user would pull over a day, this actually really adds up.
>  To simplify troubleshooting, I just did a fresh install of the newest
>  windows Apache with all the default options. It still takes 12 to 15
>  seconds. Now for the fun part. IIS 6 on the same server, download time is 3
>  seconds. It is reproducible on different machines. The servers are New HP
>  DL360s with plenty of horsepower. It is a gigabit LAN. 2003 server. Straight
>  Windows file copy takes about 2 seconds. I really don't want to have to go
>  back to IIS. I'm sure there has got be a way to optimize my Apache
>  configuration to speed it up. I can't imagine IIS being faster. I will be
>  glad to provide any more info that might help.

I'm not an expert on this top but...

The traditional place to start debugging a problem like this is to try
various combinations of the following three directives in httpd.conf:
Win32DisableAcceptEx
EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMAP Off

If any of those works, it probably means that apache is having
difficulties with your network drivers/firewalls/etc.

And in addition, you should certainly move to the latest 2.2 release.
2.0.45 is very old.

Joshua.