Optimize for large file downloads on Windows

I tried posting the question below on alt.apache.configuration and comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows, but I haven't received any replies, so I thought I would give this mailing list a shot. I'm afraid I do not know any experts. I have read every FAQ I could find and searched using all relevant terms I can think of. I haven't been able to find anything that appeared to relate to my specific issue.

Hello,
We have an in house http based records system at my company. Several years ago I converted it from running on IIS to Apache. Everything has worked perfectly. The server has to be Windows for a variety of reasons. Apache 2.0.45 was latest and greatest at the time, so that is what I have been using. The files are uploaded using a cgi/http post. They are downloaded using straight http. All files are zip compressed. We have started storing some larger files within the application. Some of the files are now 50 MB and greater. For my benchmark on this issue, I'm using a 47 MB file. As the files grew, the download time has become slower than I would have expected. On the 47 MB file, it is between 12 and 15 seconds every time. Given the number of files a user would pull over a day, this actually really adds up. To simplify troubleshooting, I just did a fresh install of the newest windows Apache with all the default options. It still takes 12 to 15 seconds. Now for the fun part. IIS 6 on the same server, download time is 3 seconds. It is reproducible on different machines. The servers are New HP DL360s with plenty of horsepower. It is a gigabit LAN. 2003 server. Straight Windows file copy takes about 2 seconds. I really don't want to have to go back to IIS. I'm sure there has got be a way to optimize my Apache configuration to speed it up. I can't imagine IIS being faster. I will be glad to provide any more info that might help.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
-Matthew Kitchin