From: Richard Geddes [mailto:rich.geddes@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:08 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question on permissions

Thanks for the response.

I set up a directory under the main DocumentRoot called test

drwxr-xr-x 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and it appeared in a directory listing in the webpage of my main DocumentRoot.

Changed permissions as follows:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and test disappears from the webpage (this makes sense)

changed group as follows:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes www-data  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and test appears in the webpage (this makes sense) as the servers are running as www-data.

Now if I change the group back to:

drwxr-x--- 2 rgeddes rgeddes  80 2008-02-18 15:18 test

and I add www-data to the rgeddes group in /etc/group, the directory fails to show up.  This does not make sense to me as www-data is part of the rgeddes group and rgeddes has r-x permissions.

Is there a reason why www-data is not being granted rgeddes group permissions?

Thanks
Richard

Joshua Slive wrote:

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Richard Geddes