Question on permissions

Hello,

I'm using apache 2.2 on Ubuntu 7.10 setting up name-based virtual
hosting .  The apache servers servicing requests run as www-data.

The idea is to allow users to make their own websites under their home
directories, and for the admin to symlink the users' DocumentRoot
directories below main DocumentRoot directory, and have the apache
configuration file with <VirtualHost> sections direct the http requests
appropriately.

I got this to work correctly, but I had to set the 'other' execution bit
for directories that lead to the users symlinked directory.  This means
that users will have execute permissions on each others' directories,
but I want to keep the users strictly separated from each other.... I
think the FAQ suggests this, if I'm not mistaken, but I think there is a
security issue here.

In the Ubuntu case, the apache servers run as the user www-data, so I
made the www-data user a member of a particular user group... and since
each user's directories can have group execute permissions without
giving any permissions to other groups www-data should have execute
permissions under that particular directory.... but that didn't work.
Also, if I can get this to work, I'll have a quick way to enable/disable
user's websites.

Is there a way of keeping users strictly separated (no permissions
between users) and allowing the users' DocumentRoot directories to be
symlinked under the main DocumentRoot directory?

Richard