Re: Server hanging with requests in "W" state

Hello,

> On 25/02/2008, pthyseba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <pthyseba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  We're having some strange problems with our webservers (https), which
>> are
>>  Apache 2.0.52 on RHEL4 and 2.0.46 on RHEL 3.
>
> This could be due to MSIE's duff SSL implementation. Do you have
> something like this in your SSL config?
>
> BrowserMatch ".*MSIE.*" \
>          nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>          downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

We do have this kind of line in our SSL configuration. However, we have
also seen this problem (512 W's with increasingly high "SS" values in
server-status, until even server-status can no longer be requested) on our
non-ssl web servers, albeit a lot less frequently (possibly because of
lower load triggering our scenario less frequently).

I'm wondering what the technical (apache, sockets, OS,...) reason is for
the absence of some "Apache kill switch" which would terminate (that is,
free the apache slot and make it available to another client) a connection
with an "SS" value greater than some threshold - or is this supposed to be
solved by any of the apache Timeout settings?

If not, I'll have to dig further into the plugins we're running.

Is there a good overview available which explains the relationship between
Apache timeout settings and e.g. worker.properties (mod_jk) timeout
parameters (e.g. parameter1 >= parameter2) ? The documentation of each
package seems to only explain its own configuration directives, but I'm
thinking our problems may be related to some not-so-good combination of
timeout settings (at the moment they all have values > 0 and < infinite
though).

Thx,

Pieter