Server hanging with requests in "W" state

Hello,

We're having some strange problems with our webservers (https), which are
Apache 2.0.52 on RHEL4 and 2.0.46 on RHEL 3.

The problem is that, under a certain load or after a while, the number of
connections to one of the webservers stuck in the "W" state (as indicate
by server-status?notable) steadily starts increasing. The "SS" value
listed for each request on this page is very large (i.e. >> any apache
timeout setting)

Having searched the archives, I have found threads on DoS attacks
(resulting in lots of connections in the "reading" state with little more
information).

The number of connections from any single ip, however, is at most 20-30 at
the point where "MaxClients" connections have frozen into the "W" state
(512 W's in our case). According to netstat, most of the connections to
the https server are in state "ESTABLISHED" (about half), then a lot of
the connections are "CLOSE_WAIT" and the remainder is in state "SYN_RECV".

The Apache servers connect to Websphere 5, WebSphere 6 (Websphere plugin)
and Tomcat/JBoss (mod_jk) application servers and use the CA/Netegrity
Siteminder plugin.

Bascially, my questions are:

1. When, exactly, is a connection listed in "W(riting)" state? Does this
mean the http server has already received the necessary responses from
backend application servers (if necessary)? Or can this state occur when
the http server is waiting for some backend server?

I'm looking to determine if maybe one of the backend plugins has not been
set correctly (assuming these plugins correctly honour timeout values
presented to them).

2. Has anyone experienced this kind of server behaviour, and if so, could
share some thoughts on possible (trivial and non-trivial) causes,
testcaeses and solutions?