Re: Multiple VirtualHosts with the same name

Joshua Slive wrote:
On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joshua Slive wrote:
 > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >
 >> I'm having a bit of a problem.  I  have a loadbalancer go to two virtual
 >>  servers on one real server.  Something like
 >>
 >>  Listen 80
 >>  NameVirtualHost *:80
 >>
 >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.2:80>
 >>  HostName www.myhostname.com
 >>  </VirtualHost>
 >>

 >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.3:80>
 >>  HostName www.myhostname.com
 >>  </VirtualHost>
 >>

 >>  <VirtualHost 192.168.0.2:80>
 >>  HostName www.someotherhostname.com
 >>  </VirtualHost>
 >>

 >>  Hosts one and two work fine, but the third host gets matched by the
 >>  first one.  How can I make it match properly?
 >>

 > What does the Host header look like when it gets to apache? I suspect
 > your load balancer is sending a Host header that doesn't match
 > www.someotherhostname.com, meaning there is no way for apache to route
 > it correctly.
 >
 > Joshua.

 The host header is fine.  The third host is not going through the lb,
 but is pointed directly at this server, so that wouldn't be the issue.
 Hosts 1 and 2 work fine, so the host header is fine there too.

Did you actually verify that by logging it?

Hosts 1 and 2 are IP-based virtual hosts, so the host header is irrelevant.

I think therein lies the problem. If they're IP based virtualHosts then they will match everything for that ip. As you can see Hosts 1 and 3 share the IP.

Here is what I want to do. I want all the hosts to be name based virtual hosts. Hosts 1 and 2 should be on separate ips, so therefore they will be hit properly from the LB. Host 3 will have a different host header so it will be matched properly too. How do I make a name based virtual host without having it listen on all the ips?

Russ