Re: Regarding mgmt. of mod_ssl and Apache versions (vulnerabilities)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:58 AM, nitin dubey <nitz_tech@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have downloaded the sources of latest apache 2.2.8 that includes mod_ssl as well.  My concern is about the two vulnerabilities (htp://www.securityfocus.com/bid/10736/info, htp://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4189/info).  I do not have any information whether or not these two vulnerabilities still exist or have been fixed in the mod_ssl provided with apache sources 2.2.8.
>
>  After googling I could find out that these are solved in mod_ssl 2.8.19.
>
>  Now to fix this I am thinking/trying the following:
>  - Check the version of mod_ssl bundled with apache 228.  If this ver is greater than 2.8.19 then these vulnerabilities must have been fixed.  I do not know how to determine the version of mod_ssl here.
>
>  - Download the mod_ssl latest version from modssl.org and force (since modssl.org does not provide sources for apache 2.x ver; it provides only for apache 1.3.x series) its installation with latest apache 228 ver.  Since, mod_ssl version here is not built for apache 2.x series, I may end up creating more problems for myself.

Although the mod_ssl that is included in apache 2.x was originally
based on the mod_ssl being referred to here, they are now two very
different products. So the fact that they list mod_ssl (as distributed
by Ralf) as being vulnerable for certain versions does not in any way
mean that the mod_ssl included with apache 2 is vulnerable. If
securityfocus thought that apache 2 was vulnerable, they would have
specifically listed it.

Joshua.