Re: Conditional Error Logging

On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

On Feb 11, 2008 3:54 PM, Sean Allen <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Feb 11, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:

On Feb 11, 2008 3:22 PM, Sean Allen <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to not log certain errors based on the user agent of the
requestor.

Is there anyway to do that?

No. Just post-filter your log to remove what you aren't interested in.

Problem there is that at that point, the user agent info is lost.
And the ip addresses are constantly changing.

There isnt a convenient way to post filter.

Might be time to hack the apache source. Arg.

Give us more specifics about the exact error type and what you need to
get out of the logs and we might have more suggestions.

We have the 'hackersafe' logo on our site.
They do nightly script kiddie etc type probes that result in a ton of garbage in our error logs.

Like:

[Sun Feb 10 01:58:08 2008] [error] [client 216.35.7.102] File does not exist: /ah/sites/dynamic/public/jretest.html

At this point the only way to filter out is by ip address which is a moving target as they have many and had
more all the time.

When the request are made, they send a custom user agent that we ignore for access log purposes. Its only the error log that gets crammed with garbage at this point and tracking their ip address
changes is a bit time consuming compared to just not logging it at all.