Re: Multiple Instances of Apache

On Jan 18, 2008 6:48 PM, Mandy Singh <mandys@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks ascs. This is a good explanation.
>
> The only other question that partially remains unanswered is that if I run
> apacheN on port 80 (and access my site as http://mysite.com) and run
> apacheN+1 on port 8080 (and access site as http://mysecondsite.com:8080) -
> what can i do special to access http://mysecondsite.com:8080 without the
> port number (as if it was running on port 80). Did you get what I was trying
> to say? Is this a legtimate question? :)

What we are proposing is not that you run your second app on
http://mysecondsite.comn:8080, but run it on http://mysite:8080. Ie,
running two (or more) instances _on the same_ host. I thought that is
what you would need.

Of course, if you have two hosts, or two IPs pointing to the same
host, you can set up two seperate apaches on each IP. If you don't you
will need to use virtual hosts.

You don't want one app to be able to take down the others aparently,
and that is why I suggested not to just isolate one app, but to
isolate all of them. Or to isolate the important app in on server, and
the others in another.

Basically the wy I would do this is as follow:

Suppose you have three apps, that you access as follow:
http:/mysite.com/app1
http:/mysite.com/app2
http:/mysite.com/app3

You want to isolate app3 three from all the others. You will need
three instances:

One apache on port 8080, has app1 and app2
One apache on port 8081, with app3
(Ports aren't really that important)
And then one apache on port 80.
This last apache will have statements like:

ProxyPass /app1  http://localhost:8080/app1
ProxyPass /app2  http://localhost:8080/app2
ProxyPass /app3  http://localhost:8081/app3

Since this last apache does nothing but move bits back and forth it
will be very stable, and you can expect it to be always available.

You can however access your three apps like this:
http://mysite.com/app1
http://mysite.com/app2
http://myothersite.com/

In this case you set up your secondary apache instances as in the
previous example, but the main one you set up with name base virtual
hosts.

<virtualhost *.*>
Servername mysite.com
ProxyPass /app1  http://localhost:8080/app1
ProxyPass /app2  http://localhost:8080/app2

</virtualhost>

<virtualhost *.*>
Servername myothersite.com
ProxyPass /  http://localhost:8081/

</virtualhost>

There are many other scenarios possible, but basically they all amount
the the following:
- Seperate your applications in "back end" apaches.
- Have one front end apache that does nothing but dispatch requests to
the proper backend.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx