RE: Multiple Instances of Apache

You can have as many instances of Apache as you wish on a Unix box. On Windows, I do not know but I suppose you can. Just like two Vhosts, two servers cannot bind the same IP/port combo.

What I do is that I make a server root for each instance of Apache. In that server root I create the directories bin, conf, cgi-bin and htdocs. I create a log directory on another disk partition.

In the bin directory you need a copy of apachectl which will somehow start httpd pointing to the right configuration file. You may for example hard-code the paths to log directory, conf directory etc.  In my case I modified apachectl so that it automatically figures out where to get the config file from based on the directory in which the script is located.

By typing "/servers/apacheN/bin/apachectl start", I start instance N. My apachectl script determines the script path, does 'dirname' to find the name of the parent directory which is the server root. A 'filename' on the server root will yield the instance name which can be appended to the log root path /logs to obtain /logs/apacheN.

Instance configurations:

/servers
	|----->apacheN
	|		|-----> bin (contains only apachectl and an envvars file with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and some other environment vars)