RE: reseting the apache server

Exactly. The port is still in use - presumably by the previous instance
of apache, which has not really died (Q: what happens if you now try to
hit the site? Does the request succeed? With the old config?)

It looks like your restart procedure is not stopping apache, even though
it is trying to start a new process. I don't know how it works on XP,
but on unix, a restart is quite different from a stop-start (restart =
SIGHUP, stop-start = SIGKILL then start). So maybe try the following:

1) Get apache running nad verify site is up with config A
2) Make obvious change to config (eg, new docroot - B)
3) do restart
4) when you get the error as above, hit the site again - what version do
you get (I bet A).
5) reboot etc to get back to 1) - now you should see version B.
6) switch config back to A
7) do a stop (not a restart)
8) is site up? (should not be - if it is, your stop process is bust)
9) do a start
10) what site do you get (should be A)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>this is
> incredibly annoying because i'm doing all this work remotely,
> so i have to reboot my system remotely each time i screw
> something up, which is quite often.  any body know a way around this?
>
> thanks, joshua

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.