reseting the apache server

sometimes i modify my httpd.conf file to try to add a function (eg, file-serving).  however, this often results in some kind of error, and the apache server will not restart.  problematically, even after commenting out the additional lines of code, the apache server still refuses to start.  if i reboot my computer, everything works fine again.  i am using apache 2.0.61 and windows XP.  i'm using this old version of apache because i was unable to get the new version working with subversion and windows XP.  when trying to restart (after the httpd.conf file is fixed) i receive the following error:

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
is normally permitted.  : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs
Note the errors or messages above, and press the <ESC> key to exit.  21...

suggesting to me that the port is unavailable.  this is incredibly annoying because i'm doing all this work remotely, so i have to reboot my system remotely each time i screw something up, which is quite often.  any body know a way around this?

thanks, joshua