RE: File permissions in an Apache enviroment

Yes I know, it's the way may hosts "CRON-job" implementation works.

> > If it wasn't for this restriction I would be able to use
> .htpasswd w/o
> > any problem.
> > so-far Ive put 100 on the dir, and I have done some simple checks,
> > like I cant wget anything from the dir, if I wget an
> existing filename
> > I get 0 bytes.
>
> You can use Order/Allow/Deny to restrict by IP address. Other
> than that, you need to specify how you expect to
> differentiate between you authorized and unauthorized users.
>
> Joshua.
Basically it is a MySQL backup-script written in PHP.
It is called by the "CRON-implementation" my host has.
It works by calling my virtual server with the url to the directory with the
script and the script itself, ie http://mydomain/scriptlocation/script.php
Obviously, doing it this way it is sort of open for the "general public"
provided that they know what to look for.
So obviously I don't want anyone else to go into it.
It should only be accessible for the Cron-command.
I guess that I need to implement some sort of password-control in the script
itself, but I want the directory totaly safe from anybody else.

With best regards

Tomas Larsson
Sweden
http://www.tlec.se