Re: debugging strategies for httpd that kills the box

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:06:50AM -0500, Greg Boyington wrote:
> >  - Play around with MaxRequestsPerChild. A typical value
>
> I will do -- I experimented with low values (100-1000) in addition to
> 0, but nothing seemed to correlate.  In my testing, the hangs would
> often occur long before this threshold was ever reached.

The directive means to let a child process die and fork
it anew after n individual request for this particular
child process.

You can try and keep an eye on these children with mod_status,
write it all into a logfile and reconstruct when the lockup
occurs. Not sure it's of any use though. ;(

You mentioned httpd -X. Maybe you try and follow
the process(es) during the lockup with strace/truss.

Besides, I forgot to mention, that there is mod_diagnostics
by Nick Kew. Itis mentioned here from time to time.
See http://apache.webthing.com/mod_diagnostics/
Nick will be able to give you specific hints on how to use
it.

mod_forensic can also help to nail down the bad request. But it
sounds, like your problem is not about a specific request.

Otherwise, I am slowly running out of ideas and you have
done all your homework before. It's really hard to recommend
anything here. At least for me, but that does not say much.

regs,

Christian