Re: debugging strategies for httpd that kills the box

On Nov 16, 2007 2:19 AM, Christian Folini <christian.folini@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Greg,

Hi Christian, thanks for your response.

>  - Play around with MaxRequestsPerChild. A typical value

I will do -- I experimented with low values (100-1000) in addition to
0, but nothing seemed to correlate.  In my testing, the hangs would
often occur long before this threshold was ever reached.

>  - Did you compile apache yourself? Give it a try.

I do.  Most everything is installed from ports; I recompiled by hand
when testing.

>  - Have you tried to get the lock-up in a lab setup with
>    apache bench or some other load generating tool?

Yup -- ab was used to test each random tweak I made to try and isolate
the problem.

>  - You disabled mod_perl2 and mod_php. This sounds as if
>    you would not really need them. (Or you sacrificed
>    functionality :)

They are both critical to our operation, but since the box was dead in
the water anyway I took the opportunity to turn everything off and
test each one in turn.  I only mentioned them in particular because I
figured they were the most likely suspects. :)

>    then you might give it a try with another mpm.

That crossed my mind as well, but I haven't had any experience with
mod_perl2 and HTML::Mason under mpm, so I would have to do some
research to see what I was getting into there.  In the mean time, The
Powers That Be have decided to build a replacement box so I can pull
this one off the wire and do more testing.  Hard to debug a problem
that kills the production machine resonsible for web, storefront,
email and support chat.

> Good luck - and keep us informed on how it goes.

Thanks, I will.

-G